Behavioral problems are one of the leading reasons for the relinquishment of dogs into animal shelters. Hundreds of thousands of dogs are euthanized every year in the U.S. as a result of overpopulation in shelters. It’s a shame to think that a lot of these puppies could have been spared if only the proper steps were taken to ensure they had the chance to become well-trained and friendly members of their respective families. One of the best ways to guarantee that your dog is given the chance to be trained and socialized is to expose it to the sights, smells, sounds, and beings of day-to-day life.
HOW CAN YOU HELP SOCIALIZE YOUR PUPPY?
Socialization means exposing your canine to as many new people, animals, environments, and other stimuli as possible at a young age, without overwhelming him or her. Generally speaking, this practice is most effective when carried out within the puppy’s first four months of life.
Some ways to help socialize your puppy include:
- Handling your canine from birth to teach it to accept touching of all body parts.
- Exposing your puppy to as many people, other animals, places, and scenarios as possible.
- Encouraging your dog to explore and investigate its environment. While some situations are obviously dangerous for your dog, it’s easy to tell the things that are safer while allowing for engagement, such as interacting with other dogs at a dog park, smelling flowers or trees along your walks, etc.
- Allowing your puppy to experience a wide variety of stimuli such as toys, games, surfaces, etc.
- Bringing your canine along for car rides to encourage the exploration of new environments and become used to everyday changes.
Proper puppy socialization involves the engagement of your canine with the sights, smells, sounds, and experiences of day-to-day life.
DOG SITTING & PET SITTING IN CHARLOTTE, NC
One of the best ways you can help this process is by bringing your little furry friend to a doggie daycare or dog boarding kennel! Club Fetch works hard to make sure the dogs here are given the proper amount of time to interact with one another and socialize. Dog day camps are a great way to ensure an adequate amount of puppy socialization is instilled into your canine.
Call today to learn more!